The content of this blog is strictly my opinion and comes from personal experience and individual research. I am not a medical professional so please contact your physician before drastically changing your diet and caloric intake.

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Welcome

Welcome to www.The-WLS-Cook.blogspot.com!  I hope you will enjoy reading it as much I will enjoy writing it. 

So what is this blog all about?  Well, my husband and I had Gastric Bypass Surgery in 2003 and 2002 respectively.  We quickly reached our goal weights but within 2 years, we were gaining it back again. This has forced us to look at what we are eating, the nutritional information, and the quality of the product.  I intend to share what we have learned, mistakes we have made, commentary on our own struggle to reach a healthier weight, and mouth watering, mostly healthy recipes that are perfect for anyone, not just those of us who have had surgery. 

I look forward to this journey and I especially look forward to sharing it with you.  To start things off, here is a recipe for Reduced Sugar Oatmeal Raisin Cookies I made for dessert this evening. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Reduced Sugar Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cups self-rising flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup Splenda or store brand equivalent
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a mixing bowl beat butter with electic mixer until smooth.  Add 1 cup flour, the brown sugar, Splenda, and cinnamon.  Beat until crumbly. Add egg and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly combined. Beat in remaining flour, then stir or beat in the oats.  Fold in the raisins.

Drop by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake in a 375 degree for 10 minutes or until edges are golden.  Makes approximately 30 cookies.

Variation: Thank you The Desperate Cook for mentioning breakfast. :-)  Try reducing the oatmeal by 1/4 cup and replacing it with 1/2 cup total of wheat germ and/or milled flax seed for an extra boost at breakfast.  Enjoy!

As soon as I learn how to calculate the nutritional information of my recipes, I will go back and add that valuable piece of information.  I will also begin uploaded photos soon. 

I hope you decide to try these cookies for you and your family.  Please let me know if you do and how they turned out.

Thank you again for visiting my blog.  Stay tuned for more recipes and tips.

I wish you happy, healthy eating..

Angie

3 comments:

The Desperate Cook said...

Yum!!! Those cookies look so good. I haven't had my breakfast yet and I am really hungry.

Angie said...

They are wonderful for breakfast. You can actually reduce the oatmeal by 1/4 cup and add 1/2 cup total of wheat germ and/or flax seed meal and they make an even better breakfast. Enjoy!

Gigi said...

try replacing the butter with no sugar added apple sauce. tell me what you think.